New combined EAD and Advance Parole document

On February 11, 2011 USCIS announced that it will begin issuing employment and travel authorization on a single card.  According to the announcement the cards will be issued to qualified applicants who file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.  The card will look much like the current Employment Authorization Document (EAD)  but will also say “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole” on it.  The card will be issued to those who qualify for and apply for an EAD and advance parole at the same time.  USCIS will also continue to issue separate EAD and advance parole documents as necessary.

This is a nice convenience offered by USCIS.  Instead of travelling with a paper advance parole and trying to keep it in a safe place while travelling abroad you now have a small credit card sized document that can be stored easily in your wallet or purse.  Much easier to keep safe and intact than a paper document!

An employer may also accept the new card for I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification purposes.  The card is acceptable as a List A document.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.